July is ZUCCHINI month at the grocery stores and in many people’s backyard gardens. Sometimes they grow so well (or they hide and get so BIG) that you just don’t know what to do with them.
Here are some ideas of how to cook your zucchini this month for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and keep it on your list of things you like to eat!
- One of the ways my CHILDREN LOVE TO EAT ZUCCHINI is when it is cut into thin slices or cubed and then SAUTED in butter until they are carmelized. So EASY and makes a great SIDE DISH at dinner!
- BATTER and FRY it! This recipe at Epicurean.com is like how my mom made it when I was a kid! This was a summertime favorite!
- I discovered this trick a few years ago. Use GRATED zucchini as a FILLER in hamburgers and meatloaf. It helps the meat retain moisture. No one will even know it is in there!
- Cut it in THIN PLANKS and use it as a layer in LASANGA. See the Zuchinni Lasanga recipe at The Italian Dish. A wonderful Sunday meal!
- Zucchini Bread is a moist QUICK BREAD that is great served cold with butter spread on top of the slice. Here is Paula Deen’s recipe for Zucchini Bread.
If you like craisins, fold in a handful with a teaspoon of orange zest to give a nice surprise flavor to the bread. To make it extra special for a brunch, make a glaze with 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spread over the bread once you have it cooled and on the dish you will be serving it on. Or wrap it up for a gift for a friend.
- How about some CHOCOLATE? Everything tastes better with chocolate! Try the Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe at Joy of Baking.
- A twist on that would be Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies from Tasty Kitchen. A great snack idea for the kids!
- Or if you would rather have MUFFINS for breakfast, check out Zuchinni Muffins at Simply Recipes.
- For lunch, slice a fresh zucchini into STICKS and then dip them in ranch or dill dip!
- Don’t forget you can GRILL or BROIL them with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Then sprinkle on some grated parmesan cheese when they are done! Yum!
How do you like to eat your zucchini?